Monday, June 18, 2012

Things I've read and digested

Good writers write, great writers read...or so I've heard. I remember being on deployment in 1994 and I read 32 books in 6 months I think?  Minimum 500 pages each if I remember correctly. All that aside, I think I should list some of my favorites here in case anyone is interested.


J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, The Children of Hurin


Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files (ALL OF THEM), The Codex Alera series which btw was FANTASTIC


Simon R. Greene - Tales from the Nightside (ALL OF THEM)


Charlie Huston - Already Dead, Half the Blood of Brooklyn, etc. Any of the Joe Pitt novels.  Gritty new take on Vampirism and definitely nothing sparkling around here.


R.A. Salvatore - Dark Elf Series


Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman - Dragonlance Series


Christopher Paolini - Eragon (but only slightly) *to be fair, it was easy to see his major influence.  Many have said that Paolini is a borderline plagiarizer.  The similarity to Tolkien is undeniable, not in writing style, but with names, places, and story.  I found the story entertaining and easy to read.


J. K. Rowling - Duh... Harry Potter series.  At first, I didn't WANT to read them.  Why?  Because EVERYONE was telling me I had to read them...HAD TO. Which of course rubs me the wrong way.  Crazy enough, everyone was right.


George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire series.  The only thing I can say about this series is HOLY. SHIT. I. WANT. 50 MORE BOOKS!  The man is a phenomenal writer.  I read A Game of Thrones and after 3 days, I was reading A Clash of Kings, then 1 day later, it was the 3rd book, then the 4th, and in a matter of 2 weeks I had read books 1 through 5.  6 is out there, but I haven't bought it yet...I don't know why.  Actually, I do...if I start reading it, I'll get thrown off track.  That man's work is like crack...


I could list a great deal more authors and stories I've loved through time, but I'll save those for another time.  I think I'm going to break the 4,000 mark tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment