Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Fearless

I've always loved martial arts movies.  However, the reasons I love them have changed since I was younger.  The classic kung-fu movies always had a similar theme.  One person dishonors another, a dead family member is involved, bodies flying everywhere, revenge, the end.  At least, that is the cliche of martial arts movies.  Today, I watched (for the 5th time) Jet Li's Fearless.  If you haven't seen this movie, you really should.  There are so many subtle messages.  One might say they are obvious plot twists but that comes from the jaded perspective.  The philosophy of this story is powerful.  There is strength in peace.  Competition helps us better ourselves and should be done for the right reasons.  It isn't about the victory, it's about how you achieve it.  Anything to excess is dangerous.  Always remember to stop and just breathe.  There are of course many other simple truths that are laden within this film.  I hope that as a writer I'm able to deliver as powerful a story.  Hopefully, I'll get another 500 words done tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment