Friday, June 15, 2012

An Introduction

Forget everything you know about being dead. There isn’t a white light at the end of a tunnel. There isn’t any eternal fire and brimstone waiting to burn your non-existent flesh from your non-existent bones. No Heaven. No Hell. No death. Well, not as you know it. Crazy you say? Well, you must be as crazy as I am. Because this book is written by a dead man, and you are reading it. I suppose I should start at the beginning. You know, where all stories are supposed to start? It must have been, oh 50 years ago? After being dead for a while, you tend to lose track of time. It doesn’t really matter if you remember birthdays or anniversaries. So, why bother with the passage of time? Well, it helps the living remember things and in turn will help you follow the story I’m about to tell. Don’t worry, I’ll skip all the boring stuff about the womb. It will just confuse you. While you are living, you’ll never comprehend the complexities of the first sensations and just how much you experienced in those short 9 months. I suppose I should tell you my name. My parents named me Elijah. Elijah Benjamin Taylor. My parents would call me Eli for a time. That is until I decided that a biblical name wasn’t suited for me. You have to understand that my parents believed in the almighty God. So resolute was their faith that I ended up with a biblical name. Benjamin was my Great Grandfather’s name on my mother’s side. I decided at the age of 15 that I wanted to be called Ben. Not Benjamin, not Benny, not Benny-boy and certainly not Benji. Plain, simple, Ben. It took a while before my parents would get used to the idea and of course when they were angry, I’d get the full name treatment. “Elijah Benjamin Taylor! Get over here this instant!” Ah, such was the life of a teenager in the rural Midwest. I had a normal childhood I suppose. I played sports, I went to classes at school. I even went to college. Normal ended shortly thereafter when I met Holly. Long red hair to the middle of her back, perfect fitting jeans, soft porcelain like skin, and striking blue eyes that seemed to lance right through you. She would change everything. Everything I ever learned about love. Everything I ever learned about life. Everything I ever learned about death. 


These are the chronicles of the life of Elijah Benjamin Taylor and a normal life was never his fate, neither was a "normal" death.


So there is what had been rattling around in my head...and there is more. I hope you will join me on this journey of exploration. I will be blogging mainly about my own personal journey with little tidbits of story here and there and character development so I'll try not to be completely boring. I have my close friend Mel to thank for this. She is my sister. She is an inspiration. She and her family are part of my family of choice. I love them all.

3 comments:

  1. Aww shucks... I love you bro! And you are an inspiration as well. ::hugs:: Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Innnnnnnteresting. *Mr Burns pose* Watch your repetitions and paragraph spacing, and try to avoid using adverbs -- it's considered the tool of a bad writer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam :) The spacing is draft spacing so when I send it, it conforms to what they want to see. The adverbs are just place holders in the rough draft. Still, I use them a lot. I always go back and see if I can't squeeze out any more descriptive quality for the story.

      Delete